|Home > Our Town > Our Town Tour Stop 16|
Our Town Home | Overview | Early Round Hill | Maps | Streets | Centennial
Area Info | Sister City: Velence, Hungary | Historic Photos | Historical Links
|Stop 16: Sagamore Hall |
New Cut Road
This historic building's life began in the late 1700's as a small stone and log cabin. Today the cabin's sleeping loft is a modern kitchen, but the log walls have been exposed for guests to see and enjoy.
In the early 1800's a much larger section was added, using chestnut trees from the surrounding hillsides. The massive 14 inch diameter logs are now exposed as the walls of Sagamore Hall's cozy family room. Guests can still see the location of original doors and windows of the log house.
Years passed and the nation's period of unrest began. During the Civil War, troops of both the North and South passed back and forth through the property. Fortunately the house was spared because of the compassion of two elderly sisters living in the log house at the time. As the lines of troops moved across the area, the ladies used their home as a field hospital for the sick and wounded of both sides.
Sagamore Hall as you see it today was built about 1900 over the existing log structure. At about that same time the railroad began bringing passengers from Washington, DC to Round Hill and Snickersville for fresh air and sunshine away from the city. Sagamore Hall served those city dwellers as a hotel until about 1938, when the railroad stopped its passenger line.
Much of the history is unknown for the next 56 years until 1994, when it was purchased by the present owners, Denny and Sydney Barker. Since that date, they have been lovingly restoring and improving the house and grounds of Sagamore Hall.