|Home > Our Town > Our Town Tour Stop 28|
Our Town Home | Overview | Early Round Hill | Maps | Streets | Centennial
Area Info | Sister City: Velence, Hungary | Historic Photos | Historical Links
|Stop 28: Train Station |
Once upon a time western Loudoun County, and Round Hill in particular, was a popular tourist destination and the circa 1875 train station was the focal point of the town. Visitors would take the long train ride out from Washington, D.C. to escape the hot, unhealthy summertime environment of the nation's capitol to enjoy the splendid views and the "clean mountain air." From 1875 until the line was extended to Bluemont in 1896, Round Hill was the terminus of the railroad.
Originally the Washington & Ohio Railroad, the Southern Railway took over around 1900, and, finally, the Washington & Old Dominion. By 1939 other modes of transportation proved more economical and passenger service was terminated. Freight service continued until just after World War II. A great portion of the old railroad bed has been converted into a bicycle, pedestrian, and equestrian trail. The station is now a private residence.
W&OD Railroad Station, 1997
W&OD Railroad Station, Circa 1912 Click on the circa 1912 photo and the photo below for larger versions